How to reduce photo size online on any device
One of the easiest and most convenient ways to reduce the size of a photo is iLoveIMG. This is a service with a large set of tools for different files. It also includes an image editor.
Pictures can be resized, compressed, cropped, rotated, converted to JPEG and other manipulations. In this case, we are interested in two tools — Resize (resize) and Compress (compress the image).
1. On the main page of the service, select Resize Image and upload the required images. They can be in JPEG, PNG, SVG or GIF format. It is allowed to process several pictures at the same time. The source of files can be a computer or smartphone drive, or Google Drive or Dropbox cloud storage.
2. Next, set a new image size. It can be specified exactly in pixels or as a percentage of the original value — 25%, 50%, or 75% less. The first option is more suitable for individual files, and the second one is for batch processing of a group of pictures. Under the dimensions there is an item with maintaining the aspect ratio, as well as a ban on increasing if the original figures are already less than those indicated.
3. Click the Resize Images button. Ready images will be automatically downloaded to the memory of your device.
4. After reducing the size, new versions of files can also be compressed to save space. To do this, click on the Compress Image button on the screen with the result of the previous process. If you want to optimize other pictures, then go to the appropriate section through the main menu at the top.
As a result, you will get files with even smaller volume. After compression is complete, the final page will show the percentage of compression compared to the original size.
Go to iLoveIMG →
With Image Optimizer
Another way to quickly reduce images is the Image Optimizer service. This is a simple site with an Optimize Now section on the homepage. This is the tool we need.
1. Upload the file to the service in the Your Image section. In this case, you can select only one image from the disk of your computer or mobile device.
2. Then, in the Optimization block, select one of the quality options compared to the original, and also specify the maximum width and height for the reduced image.
3. Click the Optimize Now! You will see data on how much smaller the file has become, and you can also download it here.
Go to Image Optimizer →
Another method is designed specifically for compressing files without changing their size in pixels. This option is suitable in a situation where the width and height of the image suits you, but its size in megabytes is too large for publishing on any site.
1. Upload images to the service. TinyPNG allows you to select up to 20 files at a time, 5MB each. It supports JPEG, PNG and WEBP formats.
2. After the compression process is completed, you will see the percentage by which the volume occupied by the files has been reduced. Download each photo separately or all at once in a ZIP archive using the Download all button. It is also possible to transfer pictures to cloud storage on Dropbox.
Go to TinyPNG →
How to reduce the size of a photo on a smartphone or tablet offline
On a smartphone or tablet, Photo Resizer is suitable for reducing photos. This app is available for both iOS and Android. The main screen displays a menu, a window with a picture, information about the source file, fields for entering a new size, as well as buttons for saving the finished result and sending it to friends or colleagues. Proceed like this:
- Click on the leftmost button with the images icon in the main menu.
- Select the desired file from the gadget’s memory. You can only process one image at a time.
- Specify a new width and height for the image, or set the maximum size for the larger side. You can enter values in pixels, millimeters, centimeters, or inches.
- Go to settings by clicking on the rightmost gear button. Select the JPG quality level there, which will affect the compression strength of the file.
- Click on the leftmost button at the bottom of the screen. The new version of the image will be saved to the device memory.
How to reduce the size of photos on a computer offline
The XnView app is available for Windows, macOS and Linux. With it, you can quickly change the size of the image without connecting to the Web.
- Open the desired file from the computer disk and in the main menu at the top, go along the path «Image» → «Resize». The same section can be opened immediately with a button from the menu ribbon.
- In the window that opens, specify a new width and height in pixels, a percentage of the original size, or a value for the largest or smallest side. Leave a checkmark next to «Keep aspect ratio». You can also select the scaling method here. In most cases, the default Lanczos (Lanczos filter) will work.
Try XnView →
IrfanView has similar capabilities to XnView, but it only works on Windows. The main features of the application are fast loading of media files for viewing and support for a large number of formats thanks to additional plugins. You can also adjust the image size here without any problems.
- Open the image from disk and go to the menu Image → Resize/Resample or press the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + R.
- In the window that appears, enter the exact dimensions in pixels, centimeters or inches, a percentage of the original image size, or a value in megapixels. In addition, here it is proposed to choose one of the standard sizes. There is an option to maintain aspect ratio as well as several scaling methods.
- The reduced version of the image can be saved instead of the original or as a new document.
Try IrfanView →
For basic size adjustment, Windows 10 already has a suitable option — the standard Photos app or Photos.
- Open the file in Photos and click the button with three dots in the upper right corner of the screen on the toolbar. Select Resize from the drop down list.
- Next, select a size from the three proposed options, or click on the lowest item. Here you can enter the width and height in pixels, as well as specify the percentage of quality compared to the original for more compression.
- Save the result.
Mac users can also resize images in the stock Preview app. The method works for both one and several pictures at the same time.
- Open files through Finder with «View». In the side column with image thumbnails, select all the necessary ones if you need to process a group of images at once.
- Click on the «Show markup toolbar» button with a pen icon if this toolbar is not activated. Then click on the Adjust Size button.
- In the window that appears, enter your width and height in pixels, or select one of the sizes from the «Fit In» list. The value can also be specified as a percentage of the original.
You can leave the «Scale Proportionately» checkbox to keep the aspect ratio of the image. If you uncheck the «Change image» item, then the reduction will occur without degrading the quality.
Read also 🖼️