Please note that you must use a local Windows account with administrator rights to complete most of the instructions in this article.
How to put a password on a Windows computer
If other people have access to your computer, it is wise to protect Windows with a password. So your settings and data will be safe: without special knowledge, no one can view or change them. The system will ask for a password when the device is turned on, when changing the account, or after waking up from sleep mode.
How to put a password on Windows 11
1. Go to the «Start» menu and open «Settings».
2. Go to «Accounts» → «Login Options».
3. Expand the «Password» section and click «Add».
4. Enter your password twice, provide a password hint, and click Next.
How to put a password on Windows 10
1. Open the «Start» menu → «Settings» (gear icon) and go to the «Accounts» section.
2. Select Login Options from the sidebar, expand Password, and click Add.
3. Fill in the fields using the system prompts, at the end click «Finish».
How to put a password on Windows 8.1, 8
1. In the right sidebar, click «Settings» (gear icon) → «Change PC settings». In the menu of the window that opens, select «Accounts» (or «Users»), and then «Login Options».
2. Click on the «Generate password» button.
3. Fill in the fields, click «Next» and «Finish».
How to set a password on Windows 7 and earlier
1. Open the «Start» → «Control Panel» → «User Accounts» section.
2. Select the desired account and click «Create a password» or immediately click «Create a password for your account».
3. Fill in the fields using the system prompts and click on the «Create password» button.
How to remove a password on a Windows computer
If outsiders do not have physical access to your device, it may be better to disable protection. This will eliminate the need to enter a password every time you start the system, log in to your account, and wake up your PC from sleep.
How to remove password on Windows 11
1. Launch «Settings» through the «Start» menu and go to «Accounts» → «Login Options».
2. Expand the «Password» item and select «Change».
3. Enter your current password and click Next.
4. Leave all fields blank and just click «Next» and then «Finish».
How to remove password on Windows 10
1. In the «Start» menu, click on the gear and go to the «Accounts» section.
2. Select Login Options from the sidebar, then expand Password and click Change.
3. Enter your password, which was assigned earlier, and click «Next».
4. Leave all fields blank and then click «Next» and «Finish».
How to remove the password on Windows 8.1, 8 and earlier
1. Use the key combination Windows + R and enter in the command line netplwiz (or control userpasswords2if the first command fails). Press Enter.
2. In the window that opens, select the account for which you want to remove the password from the list and uncheck the box next to «Require username and password». Click OK.
3. Enter the password, its confirmation and click OK.
After that, Windows will stop asking for the code combination, but only when the computer is turned on. If you lock the screen (Windows key + L), log out, or put the device into sleep mode, the display will still ask for a password afterwards.
If the «Require username and password» option is not available or you want to completely remove the Windows password, try another method — for more advanced users.
Open the account management section according to one of the instructions at the beginning of this article.
If the window that appears says you’re using an online Microsoft profile (login with email and password), disable it. Then use the system prompts to create a local profile, but do not fill in the cipher fields during the process.
After you disable your Microsoft account, the system will no longer sync your settings and files across computers. Some applications may refuse to work.
If the local profile is initially active in the account management menu, then simply change the current password, leaving the fields for the new one blank.
When deleting the old code, the system will never ask for it until you add a new one.
How to reset your password on Windows
If you forgot your password and can’t log in to your local Windows administrator profile, you don’t have to reinstall the OS at all. There is a simpler way out: reset protection. In modern versions of Windows, all you need to do is enter a couple of commands; earlier versions will require a second computer, a USB drive, and a free password reset utility.
How to reset your password on Windows 11 and 10
1. Click on the «Power» icon on the lock screen, and then hold down the Shift key and select «Restart».
2. When the computer restarts in recovery mode, go to «Troubleshooting» → «Advanced Options» and call the «Command Prompt».
3. Insert a command into it copy C:\windows\system32\utilman.exe C:\windows\system32\utilman2.exe and press Enter.
4. Then enter copy C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe C:\windows\system32\utilman.exeand then press the Y key to confirm and Enter.
5. Close command prompt and select Continue to boot Windows.
6. On the lock screen, click on the «Accessibility» icon to launch the command line and enter the command net user.
7. Repeat command net user, then add your account name (as specified in the output of the previous command) and a new password separated by spaces. For example, net user akozoriz lifehacker.
8. Close the command prompt and log in to your account using the new password.
9. After that, you can disable or change the cipher, as described in the previous sections of the instructions.
How to reset your password on Windows 8.1 and earlier
Create a bootable flash drive on another PC
1. Download the Lazesoft Recover My Password installer to any available computer.
2. Run the downloaded file and complete the installation.
3. Connect the flash drive to the computer. If necessary, make a copy of the files stored on it, since all information will have to be deleted.
4. Open Lazesoft Recover My Password, click Burn Bootable CD/USB Disk Now! and create a bootable flash drive using the program’s prompts.
Boot your computer using a flash drive
1. Insert the prepared USB drive into the computer whose password you have forgotten.
2. Turn on (or restart) the PC and, as soon as the system starts to boot, press the button to go to the BIOS settings. This is usually F2, F8, F9, or F12, depending on the hardware manufacturer. Most often, the desired key is displayed on the screen during BIOS boot.
3. While in the BIOS menu, go to the Boot section if the system did not redirect you there immediately.
4. In the Boot section, install the USB flash drive in first place in the list of devices that appears on the screen. If you do not know how to do this, look around: there should be hints about the controls nearby.
5. Save your changes.
If the BIOS is also protected by a code that you do not know, then you will not be able to reset Windows password protection using Lazesoft Recover My Password.
Perhaps instead of the classic base system, you will see a more modern graphical interface. In addition, even in different older versions of the BIOS, the settings may vary. But in any case, the procedure will be approximately the same: go to the Boot boot menu, select the desired USB drive as the source and save the changes.
After that, the computer should boot from the flash drive on which the Lazesoft Recover My Password utility is written.
Reset password in Lazesoft Recover My Password
1. Select Lazesoft Live CD (EMS Enabled) and press Enter.
2. Reset your account password using Lazesoft Recover My Password prompts.
3. Restart your computer.
After these steps, Windows will stop asking for the old password, and you can set a new one according to the instructions at the beginning of the article.
Read also 💿⚙️💻